For four weeks, starting Wednesday 10th February I’m going to lead a group of people through the exciting, powerful and rarely understood technique of “Doing Nothing Meditation.”
Before I learned this technique—and it’s no exaggeration to say it changed my life—I’d never heard of a retreat where you just sat around “doing nothing.”
But the Doing Nothing Technique isn’t about lying around the house watching TV, it’s about actively doing nothing: removing distractions, like reading talking, or being online.
And just sitting
Why I did it for the best part of a year, how it changed my life and how it could change yours
I used to be a good meditator. But when I got sick, for the life of me I couldn’t seem to get around to doing it.
So I didn’t do it. I just felt bad about not doing it.
My health gradually started to improve.
But a few years later, it started to get that I am so tired it feels hard to breath feeling.
He said that if I wanted a real retreat, I needed to, “… close the curtains and, with as few distractions as possible, just sit.”
Kind of like a do-nothing retreat.
He said, “The less you do, the better. This is very difficult. Just see how you go—even if you just do it for one day.” He said that, in silence, our dysfunctional habits and beliefs bubble to the surface and then fix themselves:
The short version of this story is that I did it for a few days.
I could feel myself healing. All those scattered bits of me started to fit back together.
So I decided to do it for a year. You can read the full story here,
TWO VERY IMPORTANT POINTS:
1. You don’t have to do it for along period like i did to get the benefits. In fact, it’s better in short bursts.
2. Everything I talk about on this blog, about our mind and finding balance. About knowing that there is calm within us (even when we can’t feel it) this came from that year. From the year of silence and from conversations with my friend. The point is, practicing the do nothing meditation made it easier to understand how my mind and thoughts really worked, in a way that helped me.
Doing Nothing is both harder than you think, and easier.
And has profound benefits and advantages, not just for the time you spend “doing nothing.”
Firstly, it’s relatively effortless. With formal meditation it can feel like you have to do something: Follow your breath. Say a chant, or whatever. But sometimes we want to do less than this. And as I’ve come to see, often the less we do better it is.
Secondly, the philosophy behind “Doing nothing” is as powerful as it is simple. And when you apply it to day to day life can transform feelings of anger, confusion and hurt feelings to something much more manageable. Depression and anxiety aren’t as scary. You feel more at ease.
Thirdly, you can do it anywhere. You don’t need to pony up thousands of dollars to stay at a retreat center. Just pull your curtains and settle into the couch.
And finally, it can be like putting a rocket launcher underneath you. You may feel more motivated. You may get creative ideas. And you just know what to do next.
Why Should I take a course on it?
If you’ve ever learned to meditate you’ll know it’s not enough to read about it. It’s the same with The Doing Nothing Technique.
We need to try it. Ask questions. Try it again. Ask more questions.
“Am I doing this right?”
What if my thoughts go crazy?”
“I don’t think this is working. I’m just no good at it.”
As simple as it sounds, the effects can be profound and not always comfortable.
When I did it for the first time, I was fortunate to have someone guide me. I can’t imagine gaining a deep understanding without that initial guidance, and that’s what I’d like to do for you.
By the end of the 4—week course
* Through the bite-sized doing nothing sessions we’ll be doing throughout the course, you’ll know how to add this powerful technique to your day, no matter how busy you are.
* You’ll be able to apply this powerful but rarely understood philosophy and feel more self assured, relaxed and able to cope with tough life situations.
* You’ll have a clear understanding of your mind and thoughts, and how to manage those times when they feel overwhelming.
* You’ll have everything to try a 24 hour silent retreat in your own home. (Or somewhere quiet)
This course for you if you:
- Are dealing with a major life change, unexpected or planned.
- Are confused about what to do now? This is ideal for finding clarity and ease.
- Want to get in touch with your creative side,
- Want to learn a new way to disconnect?
- Are feeling jangly and out-of-sorts? Or hooked on social media and looking for a circuit breaker?
- Just want to try something new!
Dates and Times
Week 1: Wednesday February 10th, 11am PST (2pm EST)
Week 2: Wednesday February 17th, 11am PST (2pm EST)
Week 3: Wednesday February 24th, 11am PST (2pm EST)
Week 4: Wednesday March 2nd, 11am PST (2pm EST)
*All calls will be recorded. So if you can’t make a session, you won’t miss out. You’ll be sent a recording within 24 hours.
Week 1: THE POWER OF DOING NOTHING
—What is The Doing Nothing Technique? How it changed my life and how it could change yours.
—Lessons in mini daily retreats that anyone can do no matter how busy you are.
—Why do a longer retreat? Preparation for guided retreat.
Week 2: A COMPACT GUIDE TO YOUR HEART AND MIND
—The 4 parts of you
—10 Truths about your mind (that will make you feel instantly more calm and peaceful)
—Why your heart is your wisdom center and how to get in touch with it
Week 3: OVERCOME HEALING, ANGER AND CONFUSION BY DOING NOTHING
— How to use Doing Nothing to heal, from traumas big and small, and why it’s the most effective way to genuinely do it.
— Confused about anything in your life? Why Doing Nothing is the quickest way to clarity.
— How to use the “Doing Nothing” philosophy to manage anger so it doesn’t muck up your relationship.
Week 4: AFTER PARTY
— Discuss what happened on your silent retreat. Hear how it was for others.
— Ask questions about anything on the course (or anything else)
RETREAT—It would be good if you could commit to having your own D.I.Y Silent Retreat during the course. Ideally between February 18th to March 1st. But if you can’t manage this, it’s perfectly fine to do it another time. You’ll have everything you need.
I can’t tell you how much this changed my life. It’s the foundation of everything I do, and was a key for me to self acceptance, letting go and relaxing more, knowing how to find clarity when things get murky.
To purchase, choose one of the following options. Please email me if you have any questions.
Option 1: $167
Option 2: $247 Option 1 plus one hour private mentoring by skype or telephone (normally $125).
When you’ve signed up you’ll receive an email from me with details of where and when to call in. If you don’t receive this within 12 hours of signing up, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.